Let’s celebrate the 75th Anniversary of VE Day this Friday in Benenden & Iden Green by putting out the bunting, ringing the bells, toasting the heroes of WWII from our front gardens and singing along with Vera Lynn.
Plan your day here…
- Flags will be raised on the village green flagpole and on the church for the day and flowers will be left on the Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard and at the war memorial.
- 11am: Two-minute silence
- 11:15am: VE Day livestream: listen to stories and memories from those who served and sacrificed during the Second World War, as well as recognising the difficulties people are experiencing today.
- 2.45-3.45pm: BBC One Special Programme including the nation’s toast at 3pm. Break out the bubbles and join in a village-wide toast from your front door
- 7pm: St George’s Church bells rung by Rod & Karen Lebon, so join in from home in any way you can. The church will be floodlit until midnight.
- 8.00pm-9.10pm: BBC One Special Programme includes the ‘Cry for Peace’ and ‘Tribute’ and Singalong with Vera Lynn. Why not join with neighbours and sing from your front gardens.
– Check out https://ve-vjday75.gov.uk for original recipes, toolkit to make bunting and posters and Dan Snow’s VE Day Challenge
– Visit the Royal British Legion website for the livestream, lots of information and learning packs